Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Something Unexpected

Tonight I am making a dinner for Jacques, Vicky, Orlando Grandma, Kurt, Mr. T and The Maven.  I thought I'd make something with a French flair in honor of Jacques.  Having seen the "Julie, Julia" movie recently it brought back a lot of memories of my mother making Beef Burgandy or more appropriately, Beouf Bourguignon.  Julia's recipe is tres difficile, so I tried to find my mother's old recipe (that's her recipe box up there).  No luck, many cake recipes, but no BB.  I think she had it memorized because it was such a favorite of my father's.

Anyway, Jacques gave me the name of an alternate french cook who had a simpler version of this delicious dish.  It is a 3-4 hour process between browning and then slowly simmering the dish.  So, The Boston Lady rolled up her sleeves about 3pm and began.

Very simple recipe to follow and I am using the casserole dish my mother always made Beouf Bourginion in for luck.  Popped it in the oven and we are now about 1 and a half hours into slow cooking mode.


I went outside for a bit to wear The Bostons out so they wouldn't be nuisances while our guests are here and then walked back into the house and into my childhood.  They say smells are powerful triggers for our memories and the familiar smell of BB cooking just brought a flood of them back to me.  I have not had this dish since my parents left their home in Dunedin in 1999.  I don't know why I never made it myself.  Intimidated, I guess.  Anyway, I had to sit down and reflect back to all the happy dinners I, my brothers, Mr. Tennis and our kids shared that my mother had cooked.  It made me miss her very much. 

But thanks to Jacques' inspiration I have made a favorite dish that fills my house with familiar smells and I thank him for that.  (Oh, I guess the glass of red wine the recipe said the cook should have from the bottle going into the dish might have helped my nostalgic feelings too.)

Bon Appetit!

3 comments:

Decor To Adore said...

Yummo! I am on the hunt for a tattered copy of Julia's cookbook so I can stress myself out. :)

Unknown said...

I bet it was wonderful. Yes, smells do bring back so much. I always think of my Mom when I make pork chops. She had to have all our bones to clean off.

Unknown said...

Please come but you have to make your BB.