Monday, April 9, 2012

The Return of Rita the Wren

She's been elusive, yet flirty. Singing out every morning and scolding Bumby when she takes her morning sun in the backyard.

Where would she build her nest this year?  Last year we never could find it, but the year before Rita decided to be Earth-friendly and use our recycling bin.



If you'd like to see the posts from that year, please click here and here for when they took flight.

The first year we discovered Rita nesting, she had taken up residence in our Staghorn Fern, hence her name that year, Rita the Staghorn Wren.

This year Rita has decided to recycle again, using an old nest that's been on the post in our carport for several years now.



It was Mr. Tennis who made the guess that Rita had installed her young ones there,




and sure enough, when I stood on the ladder and pointed my camera this is what I found.




They've already hatched!  



It's always such a quick cycle that I feel lucky to have captured a small portion of it.

Now comes the worrisome part for me, when the fledglings start flying the nest.  

I don't like that they are in the carport, but every year they do this and somehow it always works out okay.

I wonder if Rita worries about them as much as I do?

9 comments:

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

I loved this!
So do we know this is Rita? Did you check her passport?

Or by supernaturally given instinct it's the offspring of Rita? Either way...it is awesome to watch!

Not chickens, but just as interesting. I like bird watching.

--Pat

Razmataz said...

I haven;t see a wren in years. We always get a robin who makes nest on the backyard gate. Always gets interrupted and never ends up hatching. I think it is low enough for raccoons to get the eggs.

Chatty Crone said...

Wow there is something there they like - I don't think I have seen a wren in forever either.

And she probably doesn't worry as much as you do - lol.

sandie

Olive said...

The nest is lovely but I am positively green with envy over the staghorn fern. I had one for about ten years on a screened porch but we moved and had no porch and it died.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Oh I love this post! It's so fun to watch nesting birds! Every year we have mourning doves...they nest in some open, dangerous places, but they always seem to do ok!

Unknown said...

Rita likes you!

Unknown said...

Rita likes you!

Mr. Connor said...

Rita probably would not keep coming back if things were not okay. Nice pix ! Go Rita GO !

Decor To Adore said...

I never tire of reading about Rita. I wish Lil Mama would return to our patio. :)