Monday, August 1, 2011

Have You Seen Mildred Pierce?



HBO debuted a new mini-series this past spring which I missed the first time around, but was able to tape it while it is now On Demand or in reruns.  I know not everyone has cable, but this is worth a look perhaps via Netflix or some other outlet.




The lovely Kate Winslet plays the long-suffering Mildred in this most recent depression-era remake.



I have seen the 1945 original starring Joan Crawford with those eyebrows and shoulder pads and Ann Blyth as her daughter.



This version is a delight to the eyes as the costuming and set design are spot on for the 1930s setting.  Scenes like this kitchen in Mildred's California bungalow give such a sense of the time.  Although Mildred is supposedly on hard times, her house is lovely and that little bungalow today would probably sell for over a million dollars.


One of my favorite young actresses, Evan Rachel Wood, portrays Mildred's oldest daughter, the unappreciative and vindictive Veda.



It's a five part mini-series, so patience is needed to watch it all, but anyone who enjoys soaking up the details of a period-piece will find those five hours well spent.


If you have had the pleasure of seeing this version or any of the others, let me know what you think!

7 comments:

Decor To Adore said...

I have read the book and currently have the Joan movie version in my blockbuster que but would LOVE to see the Kate version.

Sending you a cute wedding idea spotted soon.

Janie Fox said...

I watched it this spring and loved it.

Orlando Grandma said...

Would love to see it but I do nothave HBO.

Chatty Crone said...

If you see it coming out again - let me know. I loved the orginal one - in fact I may have it. That was a great show!

Mr. Connor said...

Interesting times & intersting story

Anonymous said...

I have saw both also!..I know Joan Crawford was suppose to be mean as hawg,but she was great actor,and our dear "Titanic" sweety is great also!
~Jo

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I thought it was very well made and well acted...