Friday, July 1, 2011

The End of An Era

It brought a lump to my throat when Mr. Tennis and I took down something that has been a fixture in our driveway for 20 years. 



It looked it's age and still bore a scar from the hurricanes of 2004.




Air plants were beginning to take over. Time to retire with dignity.





Both kids played recreational and school basketball and a good bit of our lives at one point were spent in gyms.  Some of us were coaches, others sat in the stands cheering until we were hoarse.




Of course, the most fun were the neighborhood games that came together in our driveway almost every afternoon at one point.  Here's an old picture of the first day we had the hoop installed. The Writer, The Maven, Catie (a neighbor) and Mr. T try it out.



We had the one shaded driveway with a hoop on the street.  Plus Mr. T could always be counted on to go out an play too.

The end of an era...


Now, what do I do with this pole?


Everyone have a wonderful 4th of July weekend.  We are headed to the beach with The Maven, The Bostons and Darcy!! (She can't be trusted to stay home with all the glass stuff for the wedding in the house - Bumby will be guarding the fortress for us) So, hopefully we will have some fun beach pictures and dog beach pictures to share.

No Darcy, they don't have cat beaches....

...or do they?

11 comments:

Decor To Adore said...

Oh boy, this one was a hard one to accept I'm sure.

Have a lovely time at the beach.

Sue said...

Bittersweet! They grow so fast. But I promise before you know it, you get a whole new bunch of little ones called, "grandkids"! And they REALLY keep you running ;0)

Take care, Sue

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Didn't you just love it that your house was the 'hang-out' house?

I know I did! We had some of the best kids stay over-- g'times!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

OH I remember the day we took ours down...very nostalgic...Such sweet photos!

Janie Fox said...

heart pangs for you. Where does the time go? Have a great weekend with your entourage...looking forward to all your pictures!

Unknown said...

My heart is heavy...even though mine never played in your driveway(would have if we had bought the house next to you) it makes me sad.
Memories of the best coach in the whole world coaching Katie to become the best basketball player seh could be!!!! Thanks coach!!!

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness - we lost ours a few years ago too - to rust. It did signify the end of an era. Hubby filled the hole in and life went on. Now with the GS we have another one up. Life keeps on cycling.

I hope you guys have the best weekend - lots of fun with all the pets. Relax and breathe that ocean air.

Mr. Connor said...

The end of an era and the start of a new one. What could the pole be used for , I woner ?

Orlando Grandma said...

I remember all the exaitment about the hoop when I came to visit and even I had to shoot the ball once, did it go in, I do not remember but I shared all the fun and joy that the kid had. When a hoop is the most important decoration in front of a house, it says a lot about the parents.
Have a good weekend.

Olive said...

Maybe a new one later on for grandkids? Have a happy holiday!

The Country Mouse said...

Yours was always our favorite driveway. And as far as I'm concerned, it still is!!!