Thursday, May 20, 2010

Flight School

What a surprise I had when I went out to mow the grass this morning.  I was just coming through the back gate with the mower to start on the front yard when I spied a very wobbly flight over Mr. Tennis' car into the bushes. Next came Rita and her mate flitting about and chirping up a storm.  I went to knock on Mr. T's office door to tell him what I saw.  Fortunately I looked down before stepping because on the mat in front of his door was:



Rita Jr!

I ran inside and got my camera and snapped the above photo.  Rita and Wren Dad (who I didn't even realize was still around - no deadbeat Dad is he) were still chirping encouragement or perhaps trying to draw our attention away from Jr.  I finally got a picture of one of the Wren parents:



As I was walking back I spied the other baby who had flown over the car.  He/she was holding on to my neighbor's window.




Well, I don't know about Rita's nerves, but mine are shot just worrying about the possibility of stepping on one of them by accident.  Or an abduction attempt by one of the neighborhood felines.  My felines are on orders to remain indoors for the next couple of days.  They are backyard cats and the birds are out front, but I don't want to take any chances.  I feel lucky I was able to see this whole process and to top off an exciting day, my hydrangeas are blooming!







5 comments:

Unknown said...

How fun! I love watching nature. Isn't it funny how protective we get over the babies.
And those hydrangeas! Mine are so scrony.
Have a good weekend.

Mr. Tennis said...

Now that the birds have flown the coop I'll miss their incessant chirping.

Decor To Adore said...

What gorgeous hydrangea's. Did you ever read our hummingbird post from March of 2009?

Come by and enter the giveaway. The totes are gorgeous and perfect for summer.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I just love watching birds...so sweet! Your hydrangea is just beautiful!

Orlando Grandma said...

I have enjoyed the post about the birds, where do you find the time to keep up with all the ativities, but I am glad you do.