Friday, October 15, 2010

BOGO - Buy One Get One FREE

Chania at RAZMATAZ  has once again come up with a Friday photo challenge that had me scratching my head a bit.  The subject was food.  Easy enough, especially after the Junk Drawer expose.  I wanted to photograph some lovely food I had prepared or perhaps at least what someone else prepared, but doubted my talents for this. If you want to skip my part and go right to the delectable food picture at the bottom, please do.  The photographer is very special to me.

I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the US or the world, for that matter, but here in Orlando BOGO is in our faces everytime we step into the grocery store.



This is a small sampling and as you can see they are mainly convenience items which I don't necessarily want to use, but come on!  One of them was free!  Hey, and if you will notice in the back there is lettuce - healthy romaine, so I haven't totally gone "canned goods".  I'm actually quite grateful for these bargains, as I'm sure many people are these days.  But I realized tonight that in addition to those two full bottles of ketchup I had two more in the fridge!

Hardly ever do I use Mayonnaise, just enough to add to some tuna, but look I have two! Big jars! Made with Olive Oil!  Supposedly healthier!


And it tastes just fine, but boy do I have some mayo to go through.  Good thing they had tuna in the BOGO bin this week.



You can see Sadie looks quite mournful in the background. 
\ Alas, I have yet to find dog food BOGO.

I would like to direct you to someone who takes excellent food photographs.  Sammy at  Bite Me -
she has a food blog and loves to cook.  Her pictures are as delicious as her recipes.  She also happens to be my son's wonderful GF.

Here is a sample of one of her photos:



Boston Lady Out and looking forward to next week's challenge: Red. That I should be able to handle!

10 comments:

retha said...

Ever used mayonnaise to make a cake?

BOGO is practically unheard of here in our corner.

Orlando Grandma said...

What a very clever idea,to show those who do not have it, what a bargain we have in this part of the country. Today is a BOGO day at Win Dixie, I will stop by for sure.
A very original way to meet your challange

Unknown said...

I think this a supermarket plot for us to carry all of their inventory! Who has room for all this stuff ~ not it my tiny kitchen.
The only BOGO I love is shoes! I can always make room for another pair.

The Boston Lady said...

Retha, I would love to know how to use mayonnaise to make a cake! Not sure how the olive oil type of mayo would affect the recipe.

oldgreymare said...

BOGO sounds like a wonderful deal except for the storage issue. Perhaps you and a friend could share the items for a HO? half off?

Suzan

Molly said...

We have a lot of BOGO in our supermarkets too. Tesco's are past masters and it and it's so easy to over buy and have the things sitting in the cupboard way past the sell by!
Why don't they sell all the items just a little bit cheaper!

Olive said...

I like 10 for 10$ better but you do not have to buy ten items!

Sammy said...

You are too kind!!! I feel like the pics have been lacking lately because I keep leaving my camera places and end up using the writer's iphone! I am sure you can tell which posts those are haha. Thanks a bunch...you are special to me too :]

Kit said...

I love it! We don't usually have those kind of sales here on food. Only on shoes! Kit

Mr. Connor said...

Glad to see I am not the only one who has fallen into the BOGO trap on food. Now I stop ~ am I going to really use it ? Even thinking about it means I don't need it.
What a subject for a photo opt. Got everyone thinking ! !