Saturday, October 23, 2010

O' Canada!

I was given something really special this week by a good friend, SueBee.  You can hop over to her blog, click here,  and see what she's up to these days.

We went on an excursion to Winter Garden this week and before we left, SueBee gave me a little peice of my birth country.


SueBee is an avid thrifter, junker and now, businesswoman.  She and her business partner Kathy have opened a booth at a local shop here in Orlando.  Their stuff is awesome!  Click here to get a peek from a previous post of mine.

Anyway, Suebee knows her vintage linens.  She has beautiful tablecloths, towels, pillowcases, placemats, napkins, oh, I could go on and on. 

Where to put this lovely vintage CANADIAN tablecloth?  It took me a couple of days, but found that it really popped in our second bathroom.  This is a neglected room, mainly because it's difficult to find fabrics and "things" to go with the pink (I prefer the term, coral) tile.  I have found that by keeping it mainly white and adding some blue helps this room a lot.  And this new cloth from Canada just works, for me, on top of the old pillow cases I use for curtains in this room.



Next I will have to find something to fill up the space above the window so it isn't so barren looking.
This bathroom has turned into a bit of a "memory room" I realized as I placed this latest treasure in it.
For instance, beside the curtains hang these lobster trap markers from our trip to Maine (near Canada!) in 2001.



On the wall I have a very 1960s fish wall hanging that graced my parent's bathroom for years.  It seems at home here.





On another wall is this framed Mola, from my mother-in-law's native Panama.  She had it framed and gave it to Mr. Tennis' grandfather, Gramps, to hang at his lake house since he was a dedicated fisherman. 





Finally, hanging on the door, where it's been for years, is this macrame owl my mother made in the 1970s.  She gave it to me when I was in college as a gift and it has travelled around with Mr. Tennis and I through the years.



Thank you SueBee for the wonderfully inspiring vintage tablecloth!  I believe it is just what I needed to push me in the right direction with my "problem" room.


Oh, and how do you like my little bird-friend.  I picked him up on our trip to Winter Garden. If you look closely you can see his body is actually a small inverted clay pot that has been painted. Very clever. He now joins me in my office space and I just love his long wirey legs.


9 comments:

Claudia said...

That tablecloth is the perfect thing for your bathroom. I love where you've put it.

xo
Claudia

Kit said...

I just love what you did with the tablecloth. Very clever and it works perfectly! Kit

From the Old InkWell said...

very pretty scarf! Love your lobster trap markers too! We have an old bouy we picked up in Maine that hangs in my craft room.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I love the tablecloth! Looks beautiful in the room! KarenSue is a sweetie!

eggzachary said...

I always wondered where that owl came from

Unknown said...

Thanks for taking me! What a day we had and don't forget about Phyllis. (did you see the famous Linda knows my name!)
Love what you did with the tablecloth and I want those bouy things. Lots of memories in your bathroom. Looks great!
Sweden I mean Switzerland.

Mr. Connor said...

A complete history of life just looking at things around the home.
Pretty neat and very interesting !

Orlando Grandma said...

Amazing how the"mola fish" fit in the gathering of family memoirs. They were made by the "Kuna Indians" various layers of material of different color laid on top of each other,they cut them out and the underneath layer shows thru in an artistic way and shape . It is sown by hand in a very delicate way. It is interesting and always done by women.

Sammy said...

I LOVE that cloth! As you know, I am a fan of the blue and white thing so I think it looks fantastic!